Sunday, November 18, 2007

Playing House




We live in a very fun neighborhood...full of kids. When we first moved in, all the kids decided to investigate who their new friends would be. Well being just Aaron and I (large with child) and occasionally Micah, the kids decided not to let an age difference deter them and that Aaron and I must have to be their friends. So, at least once a day the door bell would ring and standing at the door would be several of the neighborhood kids asking if we could play. After a few days of duck-duck goose, and tag...they quickly decided that we were a lot of fun and decided to visit more frequently. Before too long I had to start telling them that I was busy and had to get some things done...to which they would reply, "can your dad play". "No, 'my dad' is at work". After a few months, their requests started to be "when can your baby play".

Well, after Ethan finally joined our family, all the neighborhood kids excitedly came to see our new addition. The girls in the neighborhood that were a little older continually ask when they can babysit. Now, normally I would welcome the enthuastic offers...however I think leaving your newborn in the hands of 8 year olds might be a little irresponsible...so I tell them they can come "help" me out any time. When they finally convinced their parents that I actually did tell them it was okay, and they come over, it turned out they are actually very helpful, and a lot of fun. Here is a picture of them "playing house" with my baby. My next door neighbor had a baby girl just a few weeks before I did, and her big sister likes to bring her over to "play" with Ethan "so she doesn't get lonley" so she tells me. I guess playing house with real babies beats playing house with dolls anyday.

Aaron and I still get regular requests to "play"...and Micah get's told every time he's here that he has the coolest parents ever. Perhaps we won't turn out to be so bad at this parenting thing afterall :-)

No comments: